The year that was

Happy first birthday Angeli's Art Beads! Grabe, what a blessed year. Thank You Lord for everything. On April 21, 2007, I became a full time entrepreneur. Here's the year (plus a couple of months) in review.

February 2007

This crazy roller coaster ride I call my small business caught fire because of this first post in shopcrazy. This post started all the media exposure, and in turn, started the overwhelming response to my work. My deepest gratitude to Ms Steph Dychiu who wrote the article.




March 2007

It was a trying month, what with my dad catching malaria (he's okay now), and my super stressful month at the office. It was also my first summer bazaar ever (i think?).



Grabe, seeing this pic makes me smile. How we changed as entrepreneurs! Far from this tiangge-like stall in last year's AAVA bazaar, our brands (Angeli's Art Beads, Charm's Ichigo, Lara's Silly Me, Nixie's Tacona, and Pao and Joyce's BBB) have now found their identity.

April 2007

April 07 was a month of many firsts. The first ever newspaper article about Angeli's Art Beads was published in the Philippine Star. I remember how I had to sneak out of the office (break naman eh, hehe), head to the pool area of Crowne Plaza where it was bright and sunny, and take photos of my work, to be published. I couldn't afford a professional photog! (I still can't, harhar).



It was also the month of my first on-cam interview. Super ngarag! I was still working that time, so I had no time to prepare for the shoot. After work, I had to dash to the Podium to look for something decent to wear, then head home to bake more pieces. Since I didn't know how to put on makeup, I frantically called people up in the middle of the night, asking if anyone was free the next day. Lara of Silly Me came to the rescue! She somehow calmed my jitters.



I don't think it ever aired though! hahaha.

A few days after, I got another call from another TV station, this time they wanted me to be in the studio for a DIY project. You'd think I'd be more relaxed this time, but I was even more stressed out because it was not just an interview, i would actually have to clay on air. (I cut my finger with the huge clay blade!!!)


I got to meet Ms Lucy Torres and Ms Wilma Doesnt! It was fun chatting with Lucy, coz she was into crafts too! Before the shoot, the makeup artist fussed over me outside the dressing room. Referring to my untweezed eyebrows, he goes "Inday hindi na uso maria clara ngayon!". hahaha. Then proceeds to give me a heavy stroke with the eyebrow pencil, giving me a Betty La Fea-esque look. Uhoh. Teehee.

And a few days after that, I got yet another call from another newspaper. Grabe, April was truly a blessed month!



The Manila Bulletin article was almost one whole spread, and the pictures were great! I am thankful for the opportunity to talk about how the business started, about the whole design process, about everything actually!

As if that's not enough, Us Girls called! I've been a viewer of F (that show with Angel Aquino, Daphne Osena, and um, who was the other one?) in high school, so I was excited to learn that Angel Aquino was hosting my segment. Jodi Sta Maria, another celeb from my couch potato past (Tabing Ilog, hahaha), was the cohost. I made photo jewelry for them, too bad I didn't take pics! The segment was taped at my tita's place in Antipolo. The staff probably found the venue nice, they shot the episode's intro at my tita's garden! haha.
Here I am (the one in red) with cousins Kat and Kristine, and Jodi and Angel.


May 2007

The gang (BBB, Ichigo, Silly Me, Angeli's) got into our first Rockwell Bazaar! I shared a booth with Silly Me Clothing.

I didn't have much clay stuff then, but I had lots of mannequins - and they were a hit!



June 2007

Site views went up like crazy, after the April features and the May bazaars. I couldn't keep up with the demand!

June saw two media features, one online and one on air.

I got featured on clickthecity.com! On the day of the interview, the guards at the condo gave the writer a hard time and wouldn't let her in! tsk. Buti nalang I went online and saw her email, that she was stuck outside (so sorry about that Ms Bea). The article was heartwarming, and the photos were lovely!


I got to meet Charlene Gonzales and Marjorie Baretto on At Home Ka Dito. I taught them how to make Id necklaces with clay. We gave a pair of cupcake earrings, a cupcake bracelet, and an Id necklace to an unfortunate girl named Alwynna, who sells bananaque on the streets.

July 2007

In July I started consigning at Peppered Cherry, this chic and cozy store at Serendra.


And my work finally lands on the glossies! Some of my charm bracelets and necklaces got featured on Candy Mag, and my golden heart necklace got published in Cosmo.

I used to collect magazines. I have always dreamed of seeing my designs on a magazine, so this feature on Cosmo and Candy was really a big thing for me!

August 2007

August was another triumph - Preview included me in their pages! It was such a pleasant surprise because I didn't know I'd be featured. I thought all along that they'd simply include a photo of one of my necklaces, like the Cosmo feature in July. But to see my name on that page, along with those other designers, was so surreal.

September 2007

I got to meet Pia Guanio in September. I was featured on Ang Pinaka, her show on QTV11. She was nice! We had a few drinks in a bar near the GMA compound - so surreal! haha. The story: My interview was taped inside the GMA compound. (The staff was very maalaga, by the way!) Rich from Starstruck was the host for my segment, Pia wasn't there. So I asked the staff if I could meet her by any chance? They set a date, and I visited her at one of the show's tapings. We went to a bar and had a few drinks. (I was in a ratty shirt and flipflops, and they (Pia and the kind staff of Ang Pinaka) were dressed up - kahiya!) Thanks Carol ha! :)
September was also Candy Fair month. It was so much fun! I blogged about it here.

And I got featured on Kids on Q, this cute kiddie show on QTV. Ella was super cute!

After the shoot, I found out that the Ella was the ghost pala in Sigaw. I am deathly afraid of horror movies, no matter how corny. So my cousins were laughing when they were watching the episode, wondering if I knew who I was talking to! But no, I only learned about it after they told me. Good thing, because it would have been awkward!


October - December 2007

These months were quiet ones, publicity wise. We focused on bazaars and the Christmas gift giving rush. I was home in Bacolod for most of October, and spent time with the family in December.

We had a trunkshow at Ms B's for halloween. That was fun!

Rockwell's third bazaar of the year in November was a huge success! It must be because of my ID that says BREADS. hahaha.

Some of my stuff (the envelope bracelet and mannequin) got featured on 2bu's Christmas list in December, but I don't have a scanned image of that. sayang. The Pretty In Pink teenytiny dress necklace was also published in Woman Today in December, but I don't have a copy of that either! (If anyone has a copy, pwedeng hiramin?)

January 2008

Started the year right and registered the business. Red tape sucks. tsk.

February 2008
Just when I thought I was done with media features, I got a message from someone from ABS CBN, inviting me to guest on Boy and Kris. I was intimidated at the thought of meeting Kris Aquino, and was glad to find out I was meeting Boy Abunda instead. (I have nothing against Kris, just that she can be unforgiving with comments. Kung ang celeb nga nababara niya, ako pa kayang probinsyanang nene?) Tito Boy was super nice, and so was Rachel Ann Go, cohost for my segment. There are celebs who make you feel small, but there are those who make you feel right at home, and these two are good examples of the latter.



A few days after, I got a message from from Achie Pao saying ANC might feature me along with BBB. I didn't take it seriously though, because it was already a few hours before their scheduled shoot, but I still haven't heard from the producer. Then around noon, I got the go signal, so I rushed to the mall to buy something to wear (coz I'd have to look
pormal, this was ANC!). An hour after, I was at the studio, having my makeup done. It was aired LIVE. eeeeek. I may have pulled a Janina San Miguel!


March 2008

We joined the Pinay In Action Bazaar! I had a my yummy cart made for the event - my super creative lolo made it for me! What's great about it was I got to spend the entire week with him, which I have never done before. I didn't know we had so many things in common. He has this workshop full of carpentry/fishing/handyman tools, and for the first time, I saw it in a different light: so many tools for exciting new projects! His helper, his carpenter sidekick, said to me while I was bent over some nails and a hammer, "Mana ka nga sa lolo mo!". I was so proud! hehehe.
Here's a prettier photo of the cart. We improved it by adding a new roof made of a pretty gold and pink pinstripe fabric, and attaching the Angeli's sign on the body instead of hanging it from above. Marco made the roof - the men in my life are so creative! haha.

April 2008
Like the year that was, this month was pretty busy! My 23rd birthday and Angeli's Art Beads' first year anniversary falls on the same month. Plus there are three batches of basic polymer clay workshops this month! Not to mention the Urban Bazaar. Crazy crazy month.

We are grateful for this craziness, for it is what keeps the business going. Thank you Lord for all the blessings, for all the dreams-come-true. The year was by no means all glitz and glam, but it was a fairytale nonetheless.

Here's to another crazy, crazy year.














Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Jill,

Read your blog. wow. i'm very happy for you. nakaka-ingit. you found your passion and had the guts to dive into it.

Congrats. Hope to see you soon

Popular Posts