Artsy Fartsy

Hello! I'm Angeli, and I turned 22 last summer. I've been crafting since I was 0.

Crochet, cross stitch, paper mache, beading, sewing, embellishment. You name it, i've done it. It shouldn't be a surprise, since I come from a family who can make clever things with their hands.

My lolo, mom's dad, is a fine craftsman. He can whip up anything out of wood and metal! He has a knack for turning junk into treasure, refusing to throw out broken objects and ingeniously reconstructing them into something new.

My mom is an all-around crafter, and i guess it was her creativity that rubbed off on me. She taught me how to crochet, to do cross-stitch, to sew by hand, and even how to use our ancient sewing machine. I remember how I'd get in the way help out with her projects as a kid. We would buy ribbons and lace and fake little flowers from a ribbon place called Zuniga's, then embellish tiny little baskets and miniature fans made of bamboo(?). I was about six or seven years old that time, and it was pure crafting bliss. Until now some of those projects are displayed at my mom and dad's place.

My dad is also an artist. Not a lot of people know about that because he doesn't really use his artistic skills like my mom and I do. Dad's a talented painter and he's really good at drawing, but I haven't seen him pick up a brush or pencil in ages! When I was a kid, he bought me a pretty coloring book and a watercolor set. A few times he would paint on some of the pages, transforming the blank two dimensional pictures into works of art.

Ironically, it's my mom who paints now. She picked up the brush about a year ago and paints in her free time, which she doesn't have a lot of.

I, on the other hand, have all the free time in the world. I graduated from college a year ago, after taking up BS Development Communication and majoring in Journalism at UP Los Banos. I worked as editorial assistant for Real Living magazine for a year. But even if it was such a cool job - flexible time, no dress code, lots of freebies and travelling opportunities - I let it go to fulfill a dream. Stupid, you'd think. But it was the best decision I've ever made.

I quit my day job to become a full-time crafter.

And now I am living a dream.

Comments

joem said…
and finally your blogging na...
haven't blogged for months! anyway, yours will make up for a good read!

good luck girl!

Popular Posts